Monday Apr. 21, 2014
Letter

By mooseberryinn on 01-19-13 @ 11:18 am

The NRA is not extreme in the slightest.  Neither are any other groups supporting shooting sports
and gun ownership.  Here is why - This Obama regime is not about promoting safety, or stopping
gun violence.  Nothing they have proposed would make much of any difference to criminals or
nutcases.  It would make a difference to lawful gun owners.  However, the real bottom line would be
negotiating away our 2nd amendment rights.  Just a little bite, then another, and another, until there
simply weren’t many rights to worry about.  THE NRA IS NOT EXTREME IN REFUSING TO
COMPROMISE OUR FREEDOMS PER THE 2ND AMENDMENT.
By leahmanzari on 01-19-13 @ 11:34 pm

You are a wise man Frank and I appreciate you having the courage to speak up for common
sense.
By Red Green on 01-20-13 @ 2:54 pm

Well, Frank, I don’t disagree that the NRA has become a bit extreme and a bit off-course.
However, I think that they have been FORCED off-course and to extremes by our
dysfunctional and BOUGHT politicians.  Experience has shown and the NRA has a full
appreciation for the fact that if you let the camel get a toe under the tent, it won’t be long
before he is in bed with you.  The core of the 2nd amendment is at risk if the NRA allows
ANY toehold to be gained in lesser matters—-one leak in the dike will eventually erode
the integrity of the dike to keep out the water.

I don’t like the NRA’s posture, but I see that they have little choice.

And, I still have to say…. these shootings are so NOT about guns but about people and
society.  You need look no further than to see the availability of guns against the
availability of mental health services in this country is a big chunk of the problem.
America will only see meaningful change in this situation when it’s focus is on (and
attitudes about) offenders and sick people who have no business near a gun, instead of
penalizing good, law-abiding gun owners.  IT’S NOT THE TOOL, ITS THE PERSON
USING THE TOOL!!!!!

And by the way….look at the criminal and moral records of our members of congress
and see how many could, under current laws, legally own a gun….Hmmm,  interesting….
By Gabby Johnson on 01-20-13 @ 6:33 pm

As a shooting enthusiast since the 1960s, I agree wholeheartedly with Frank Vitale, and I too
left the organization in the mid-1970s.
The NRA used to stand for safety, civilian marksmanship and overall responsible gun ownership,
scholarly work on the history of firearms and conservation and management of game species.
Given that just yesterday there were five instances of negligent discharges at guns shows and a
family massacre in New Mexico, likely because of unsecured weapons, there’s a real need for the
NRA to return to its roots.
The NRA magazine American Rifleman used to be a good read. Now it’s filled with politics, gun
and gear ads, and articles promoting the advertisers’ products.
By mooseberryinn on 01-20-13 @ 10:04 pm

Don’t blame the NRA for idiot gun owners, and/or nutcases running loose.  Comrade obumov has sold
more guns than all previous presidents combined.  Now, some moron handling loaded weapons at a
gun show?  (sigh)  Must have been a demo-dummie.
By Fast on 01-20-13 @ 10:51 pm

President Ronald Reagan was for gun law changes, look it up.
By bopho on 01-20-13 @ 11:52 pm

Frank Vitale and Gabby Johnson - I agree with your sentiments completely.  The NRA does not
represent the majority of gun owners and is on the road to irrelevancy if it fails to return to its roots.

I attended summer camp in the 1950’s and was introduced to riflery.  I was also introduced to the NRA
and its Junior Marksmanship program.  It was all about safety and trigger control and sight pictures.
Over the next four years I worked myself up to something like Bar Six.  My high school in the mid
1960’s had an indoor 50 foot rifle range in the basement.  Students that had .22 target rifles could
bring them to school.  All our shooting was done under NRA rules and safety guidelines.

But it was in 1959 when I was 12 that I discovered my true passion.  A friend of my father who was a
police officer and a ranked target shooter took me to the police range and put a Colt Officers Model in
.38 special in my hands.  He taught me the proper and safe use of a handgun.  He would fill the
cylinder with random empties in order to teach me proper trigger pull and to learn not to flinch.

And then when I was 22 i bought my first 1911.  And it has been hand gunning ever since.  Bullseye
is my game mostly and throughout the decades I have used NRA approved targets and under NRA
rules.

The NRA isn’t like that anymore.  To me it is just a bunch of noise.  I stopped being a member in the
1980’s when they started to stress guns, guns guns, over marksmanship and safety.  And thank you
Gabby Johnson for using the phrase “negligent discharges”.  There is no such thing as a “gun
accident” but there are plenty of negligent discharges waiting to happen.

A few weeks back the Beacon ran an excellent article about Northwest Shooter, the fine pistol range
located on Hwy 2 north of the airport.  There wasn’t one comment.  Instead everybody was going all
Second Amendment and how our rights were all threatened and UN troops were going to go door to
door to confiscate our guns.  Just remember - the Second Amendment still includes the phrase “well
regulated”.  In my most humble opinion the drafters of the amendment wanted the people to be
“trained and able” in the use of their arms.  So all you people buying all these handguns that are flying
off the shelves - listen up - with rights come responsibility.  Handguns are serious objects.  Take thee
to a range and become “trained and able” in the use of your weapon.

And the NRA - get yourself a new PR firm.  You can win over a much greater percentage of the
population if you drop the fear and paranoia mongering and go back to urging safe and responsible
gun ownership.  Then I might join again.
By montanaeasy56 on 01-21-13 @ 7:15 am

What I found amusing about the five incidents at the “rally” gun shows this past weekend was
that after all the manly bragging, all the pounding of their chests, all the empty rhetoric, that
when the participants of the gun show heard the gun shots go off, (and here they were
SURROUNDED by guns) they ran like little girls. Funny how they always argue that more guns
are the answer but when the tire hits the payment, it is a little different story when their arse is
in danger. I’m not a gun-control advocate by any means. I think it is a waste of time to regulate
weapons of any kind or the high capacity clips. You can never, EVER legislate against
someone’s lunacy. There will always be crazies that fall through the cracks, obtain a weapon of
some sort, and cause mass casulaties. All you can do is hope it doesn’t happen in your
community.
By mooseberryinn on 01-21-13 @ 5:51 pm

Bopho - you mean “well regulated” isn’t about prunes?
Montanaeasy56 - I think it’s pretty much instinct to not act like a gopher if there be shots fired.  All else
- I agree.
By montanaeasy56 on 01-21-13 @ 6:44 pm

I agree…Nobody likes to be the first one to have their head shot off…but I still thought it was
funny that among all these macho gun guys who say “why, if their was someone with a gun,
this tragedy would not happened”, all ducked and ran like little girls when the caps started
going off…
By GATE on 01-22-13 @ 9:33 am

How is it that you need a background check to own a Gun…But not one to run a Country?
By ponymt on 01-22-13 @ 9:50 am

As confirmed by the Supreme Court in the recent District of Columbia vs. Heller case the Second
Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms; saying that the right was
“premised on the private use of arms for activities such as hunting and self-defense, the latter
being understood as resistance to either private lawlessness or the depredations of a tyrannical
government”. Given that our Founding Fathers had just won a war of independence from a
tyrannical government, I would submit that its primary purpose was to guarantee that the citizens of
this newly formed nation would have the means to ensure that they would never be subjects again!
To this end, an “assault rifle” (i.e. semi-automatic rifle) is currently the firearm that most
exemplifies the Second Amendment’s original intent.
By ManUp on 01-22-13 @ 2:55 pm

Too many organizations with once great missions have been forced to the extremes in their
attempt to stay relevant.  More and more of them will continue to crash on the rocks.
By mooseberryinn on 01-22-13 @ 4:08 pm

Ya know how ya might get a wee bit irritable if some salesman just keeps pushing and pushing?
Well, that’s like chairman obumov, just telling the lies, day after day, over and over, it just gets on
your nerves.  Then old Bumpus Joe - and his “task force’ proceeds to ignore specs, visual proof,
etc.  promising to make the world safer, etc. etc. etc. etc. Sooner or later, you, us, the NRA, might
seem a little ‘extreme” when in fact or print - you, us, the NRA might shout “back-off ya flamin’
morons”!  it is never pleasant dealing with the regime communists.
By JB on 01-24-13 @ 12:42 pm

So if “scary"guns (you know, the one with certain cosmetic features, i.e. pistol grips, collapsible
buttstocks, the color black (sic) ), are the ones being regulated, maybe we can paint florescent
yellow with bright pink and green polka dots, so they look less “scary” !

Hmmm…not sure about that color scheme…those may get banned quicker…
By JB on 01-24-13 @ 12:45 pm

Seriously, it’s way too easy for the media to point the finger at the NRA and blame them for our
violent crime issues.  I suspect it’s more of a smoke screen to entertain people and take their
minds off of our other pressing problems…like unemployment and the economy.
By Gators on 01-24-13 @ 5:42 pm

Pretty soon we will give our “policmen” a sling shot so they won’t really hurt the law breakers,
thugs, losers, you the know the bunch…I’m talking about.  It’s all about their rights…get real.
We live in a world where the convicts has more rights than ever…get real!!
By Mark Phillips on 01-24-13 @ 6:24 pm

Join Today. Be one of the less than 1%. Truly an elite. Download shooting app now. But please don’t
drive and shoot at same time…could be dangerous.
By GATE on 01-25-13 @ 5:12 pm

Now that ol’ Gaffer Joe has been appointed Sheriff and Eric ‘Gunrunner’ WithHolder his faithful sidekick
in the latest Left-Wing Elitist scheme to disarm law abiding Americans, let’s call the latest Government
power grab ‘Faster and more Furious’!
By Mark Phillips on 01-25-13 @ 6:52 pm

What if they don’t want it?
By GDPGuy on 02-20-13 @ 10:46 am

I am a gun owner who’s been around longer that most of you and I’ll tell you what I fear: A radical
NRA that takes positions that endanger my right to bear arms. Some folks think the government
(that would be the U.S. armed forces) is going to take our guns. That’s insane and an insult to the
fine Americans who serve our country and US. The real danger here lies in the belief that’s dawning
on the average American: it’s the NRA that’s dangerous and encourages the means whereby
unqualified and/or unstable people can get firearms. LaPierre, foaming at the mouth in his NBC
interview, does not help our case. The NRA says “Guns don’t kill people. People kill people”? So
let’s give more people guns? Does that make a particle of sense?
Personally, I have no interest in a Bushmaster or hi-capacity clips. I’ve hunted with a double barrel
shotgun and an 80-year-old Winchester (the real Bushmaster)  and come home with all the game
my family could eat. Anyone who needs an AR15 to hunt is no sportsman and just damn
dangerous in the woods.
Reasonable, sane gun owners need to wake up and smell the regulators. We need to form a new
gun owners organization get to the negotiating table RIGHT NOW before the next mass killing
cranks up the anti-gun people.
Just the opinion of an old hunter and old man who knows how to use his guns and how to protect
his rights.

Kellyn Brown31m
Montana rescuers recount "devastating" Washington mudslide http://t.co/ybfKlsnsLG http://t.co/TexwL9NCDk
Good night from Flathead Lake. #montanamoment http://t.co/9mJAN46Ovb