Sunday Apr. 20, 2014
Letter

By getman on 11-24-12 @ 6:26 pm

Agreed, and I heard the upper Republicans say, “We would have done better discussing issues with
the real Obama and not using a fictional Obama to scare people.”  Many of us longtime, hardworking,
normal Montana people voted, as a choice, for Obama.  We care about working people and their
needs, first!
By BiggerMig on 11-24-12 @ 10:11 pm

Well said.
By mooseberryinn on 11-25-12 @ 8:49 am

I am very pleased that The fervent worshipers of Comrade Obama are so willing to pay to help their
fellowman with their money and mine.  I would say go ahead and mail in your checks to Obama
charities now and avoid the rush come tax season.
By waterman on 11-25-12 @ 11:37 am

Melissa, the problem is that once you start the handouts to those not willing to help them selves
out of poverty is that it continues to grow out of control. Look no farther than our socity today.
Welfare teenagers banging out babies they have no hope of supporting and expect someone
else to pay for their healthcare, food, education, and housing. The cycle continues on and on.
When and who decides enough of this giving away others prosperity has to end.
I have no problem w/helping those down on their luck because of the economic conditions today
or loss of their employment. I do give to local charities and even directly to some people I know
personally to help them out.
The gov’t cannot manage my tax dollars any better than by me giving directly to the local area.
I do have problems with the gov’t taking whatever amount they deem fit and giving it to teenage
kids w/no education because they dropped out of school and are now banging out babies for
public support.
When is the gov’t going to say, “Hey- the takers have exceeded the givers and we are now
completely broke.” After it is too late and the wealthy have moved elsewhere.
What you describe is complete socalism. Please, tell me where it has worked better than what we
alreay have today.
By GATE on 11-25-12 @ 2:44 pm

Even the Russians got this one right: PRAVDA HEADLINE: ‘‘obama re-elected by illiterate society”.
By montanaeasy56 on 11-25-12 @ 7:20 pm

Not one gripe about corporate welfare…go figure!!!
By JB on 11-27-12 @ 11:45 am

Squeezing blood out of a turnip never helped anybody - it has the opposite effect, Melissa.  It may help
in the short term, but in the end, everybody suffers.
By Westside2 on 11-27-12 @ 11:57 pm

True poverty begins with poverty of thought.
By Fast on 11-28-12 @ 5:07 pm

I find it interesting that of most of the people in my ex church and including Preacher bang the President for his
policy’s but at the same time had friends and relative that are perpetual abusers of the welfare system.
By montanaeasy56 on 11-28-12 @ 7:36 pm

People are whining about the President being re-elected. The exit polling showed that the
majority of voters thought the country was headed in the wrong direction, but still re-elected
Obama. Isn’t that more of an indictment against the other side’s policies than it is on “illerate”
electors?
By Rick Stern on 11-28-12 @ 10:38 pm

I agree with my good friend Melissa. I wonder if many Americans have forgotten - or were never
taught - one of the main purposes of government in a democratic society: to pool our resources
to provide services that few or none of us could afford individually. We all benefit from public
schools, fire departments, law enforcement, and countless other public benefits provided by
federal, state and local governments. The United States has been an agent for pooling Americans’
resources for the common good since before Karl Marx was born or the word “socialism” was first
used. If we are still committed to “forming a more perfect union” - and why shouldn’t we be? -
than we should stop demonizing each other for our differences that actually make us stronger and
smarter than if we all thought exactly the same way. We do face serious problems as a country,
but we have a better chance at truly productive solutions if we work together in a spirit of
collaboration and trust rather than considering each other as evil, stupid, or the enemy.
By Turnrow on 11-29-12 @ 8:01 pm

In addition to all the “socialist” benefits provided by government and mentioned by Rick, when I
had my ranch, I got electricity and water from member-owned coops financed by the government.
Why? Because private enterprise wouldn’t serve people in my area ... not enough profit. And I
guess it would be impolitic to mention the deeply discounted fuel, fertilizer, seed, feed and
equipment rentals I got from belonging to the local farmer’s coop ... now there’s a communist
organization if there ever was one.

Kellyn Brown18 Apr
"If we made decisions on permits this way in MT, our economy would grind to a halt" @GovernorBullock on #KeystoneXL delay
KALISPELL, MT: You'll find the box in a brick building filled with history. Skateboards, pizza, clocks & ties #THTH14
Molly Priddy18 Apr