Friday Apr. 18, 2014
Fourteen-year-old with cerebral palsy shoots elk from his wheelchair with special rifle mount

By Mtwatch on 11-29-12 @ 10:03 am

Oh YEAY..another CHILD learns to kill!
By Red Green on 11-29-12 @ 11:03 am

Okay, I get that hunting is part of Montana culture—to each his own—- but must we splatter dead
animals across the front page?  Are we not capable of being more sensible and sensitive?  There are
better ways to celebrate this child’s challenges than this.  This is NOT newsworthy.
By shillbot on 11-29-12 @ 2:32 pm

This is a wonderful story that offers hope to those who may of had a disability that kept them from
experiencing hunting.  Way to go Tyson - awesome shot!  Its sad that some cant look past their
opinions/beliefs on hunting to share the happiness in this article.  That’s o.k., we’ll eat the healthy
grass-fed elk while you continue to gobble down the hormone-injected grain-fed
beef at Albertson’s smile.
By Mtwatch on 11-29-12 @ 5:11 pm

Ayup…put em in a wheelchair…put a elk (cow no less!) in front of the poor kid and tell him
to shoot it whether he undersands or even wants too…Ayup…real hope for this child.  Such
intelligence!!
By Clarity on 11-30-12 @ 4:09 pm

I see the magnificent animal laying there having had a bullet explosively rip through it’s body
and think of the intense pain it suffered as it tried to catch its last breaths. To me the traumatic
death of an animal is not something to celebrate. It’s true that as long as we eat meat this is
happening in some form or another millions of times each day. There are other choices.
By mitch on 11-30-12 @ 6:09 pm

Agree.  Disgusting.  Something wrong with making a big family event out of the death of such
a beautiful animal.  It wasn’t a hunt, it was a slaughter
By Westvalley on 11-30-12 @ 6:30 pm

Do all you bleeding hearts feel sorry for the same elk as a pack of wolves devour it alive for
hours??  Plenty of videos out there rolling tape for hours as the damn wolves eat the elk
alive!!  At least the bot made a clean kill and fed his family for the winter.  And as far as
the cow comment,  kids are allowed a cow tag…......
By inthemiddle on 11-30-12 @ 6:32 pm

Hunting in Montana is a tool used to keep the populations of elk and deer at levels that do not over
graze the enviroment. I am happy that a kid with special needs had this opportunity thank you to all
that made this hunt possible. Congratulations Tyson.
Clarity, next time a deer gets hit on the highway by my house by someone who is driving to fast for
the conditions I’ll give you a call so you can put it out of its misery. I have to do this between 5 and
10 times every year. At least when an animal is shot by a hunter it dies fairly quickly unlike when a
vehicle clips it in the hind quarters and it lays there for hours before it dies. Just for the record more
deer are killed each year by drivers than by hunters. And for the record I have driven over a million
miles in my life most of them in western Montana and as of yet have never hit a deer elk or moose
with a vehicle.
By montanaeasy56 on 11-30-12 @ 9:18 pm

I just wish I coild get Clarity’s e-mail address. I got harvest pictures for the past 50 years. I’m
sure she would love to see them. If you don’t like how we provide for our families in Montana
then go back to California or New York or wherever you came from. We don’t need your trash
around here.
By Mtwatch on 12-01-12 @ 10:25 am

We will be stayin 56…we will be using everything we’ve got to stop you from using kids to
further your justification for the slaughter of wild animals, whether by your so
called “harvesting” or TRAPPING!  I have seen (up close and personal) a doe BUTT SHOT by
a hunter with a shotgun…died in my arms…now theres a good example of human morality!  It
took a very long time to die by the way so don’t tell me about the deer in the headlights or ignor
the animals caught in the traps(that suffer for days!) set by MEN to make money!  You will not
get away with your “holier than thou” attitudes!!!  This little boy had NO CHOICES and neither
do your targets or the trapped animals! So…we are not leaving…you will continue to be bashed
over and over because you will never get it!  This is the 21st Century and you do not belong
here and we will continue to tell the world…period!!!
By RealDeal on 12-01-12 @ 11:01 am

Mtwatch, what you should have done is put a bullet in that doe’s head and put it out of it’s
misery. Most Montanan’s would have done just that, not sit there and let it suffer. You sir, are
pathetic! Your internet rants are laughable at best. What is nice though, we as Montanan’s will
never have to worry about people like you, ever, except on the internet comment sections. People
like you will always be in the minority in Montana. The only thing people like you have, if you
have anything besides the internet, are lawsuits to stop hunting. This we all know will never
happen. So, go out and buy yourself a gun, so the next time you happen on a wounded animal, you
can put it out of it’s misery instead of prolonging it.
By Mtwatch on 12-01-12 @ 1:18 pm

Yah Real…blame me…I am the one that shot the doe in the butt with a shotgun!  Makes sense
right?  I was walking my dogs and I do not carry guns.  I would have put it out of it’s misery
if I could have…believe it!  All I could do was sit and hold its head in my lap until it died,
knowing it was suffering!!!  You, idiot, are probably the one that shot it!  Yes, I did call the
sherriff but it died before they got there….the difference?  I did not walk away as I am sure
you would have!
By inthemiddle on 12-01-12 @ 1:55 pm

@Mtwatch,
Do you really feel that you were giving comfort to that deer. In reality the deer only saw you as a
predator and you only made its suffering worse. The best thing you could have done for that doe
was to walk away as you had no way of ending its suffering. You are probably the same person
that takes in stray fawns and cub bears because they must be lost, in reality their mothers have
hidden them while they forage for food. They are then abandoned as they have a human scent on
them. There are several good books out there that deal with city dwealers moving to rural areas that
would really help you fit in better here. When people like you show up and start messing with our
traditions your going to have a hard time making friends.You may not care for hunting and you may
feel that you are superior to those of us that do but the fact of the matter is you are part of a very
small vocal minority in Montana.
By RealDeal on 12-01-12 @ 2:14 pm

Mtwatch,How do you know it was a shotgun? Were your dogs on leashes like they are supposed to
be? Maybe they went out ahead of you, attacked the deer, mangling the hind end like predators
do, and you, being anti- hunting and blaming all animal injuries on us hunters just assumed it
was a hunter with a shotgun. You do realize that hunters don’t usually use shotguns for deer
hunting, right? You do realize there are other predators that attack deer, right? You do realize
that the monies generated from hunting have done more to protect land and animal habitat than
you will ever do, right? I may be an idiot, but your world of unicorns puking rainbows just
isn’t realistic here in Montana. You must have been looking at the wrong brochure when you moved
to Montana.
By Mtwatch on 12-01-12 @ 2:30 pm

Real…you are very sick and really need help.  I don’t know where to tell you to go to get it
however but I am sure that others on this site can tell you.  Your comments are very sad (and
sick) and I suggest help soon before you hurt yourself!
By brokenbutcher on 12-03-12 @ 12:33 pm

Back in the early 1990s I lived in Seattle. A bunch of us went camping near “Vantage” Wa.
  One of our guests was a young man from Kalispell who had just moved to Seattle and worked for
our company. While all of us from Wa. wanted to take photos of the birds,snaked,deer,chipminks,
etc.. Our freind from Kalispell wanted to kill them. shoot them with his .22 he brought.. There
is a lifestyle ideal that is much different from other states when it comes to hunting vs
killing.. After living in N.W. Montana for 12 years and now having moved back, I see a huge
difference in the mind set of those there, and those here in Wa. If you dont like being part of
the ‘klling culture’ I suggest you move. I did. There si not much else to do in N.W. Montana
other than shoot stuff… sad.
By reading quietly on 12-03-12 @ 2:24 pm

This is so sad, a few adult humans who do not approve of the hunting in this story do feel that
it gives them the right to insult a physically handicapped young man who is working hard to
live a productive normal as possible life.Being able to provide healthy organic food for his
family with his limitations is an amazing oppurtunity in which the family says they are very
thankful.It sounds as if they also were able to have some great family time with 4 generations
,how many families make the time to spend together in a family activity.This family chose
hunting which as I read goes back through more then 4 generations so you do not approve is that
any reason to insult the family itself.

It is very unfair that those reading this also jump to the conclusion that all people in Montana
who hunt look at it as a killing culture. The majority of people who choose to hunt are not out
shooting eveything in site.They hunt in a responsible manner and give back to the wildlife
community with the funding provided by their license purchase being put back to work in Montana
fish wildlfie and parks.Something funds those wildlife studies on non-game anmials too you know..

Myself, being of native american descent and growing up with a very healthy respect for all
animals in this world including the judgemental human types.It is very interesting that others
do not look at what we as humans have done in creating the over population of these majestic and
beautiful animals yet they can be so rude about how we now have to regulate some type of control
to keep the animals in a healthy state.Over population brings sickness and disease.If you think
a fast kill that puts the animal to good use as food and leather for clothing is horrible,,
Perhaps you would enjoy the scenes of the slow death from hunger and sickness sometimes with
predators eating them partially alive.Of course living here we also see the many of those road
kills some of us take the time to end the suffering of those animals instead of allowing them
the slow suffering death that comes from internal injuries and broken bodies that cannot heal
that is the ethical choice with any form of wildlife or loving pet.

To Tyson and his family congratulations on am exciting adventure which brought much into your
lives.Having spoken to others with handicapped children I know that this article has been
inspiring to parents who have children in similar situations.As family to a disabled child it
is the goal to help them follow their dreams and live life to the fullest for we never know how
long they may be with us.It is a shame that others here cannot see that this was not about
hunting but about a young man’s adventure into a realm that years ago any one with the physical
challenges would of not of been able to participate in.Technology has come so far in helping
those with limitations in all fields…
  Tyson ,may you continue to push forward and live the dream…...
By Kokanee on 12-03-12 @ 3:19 pm

Very well stated reading quietly
By brokenbutcher on 12-03-12 @ 6:08 pm

of course very well said.. support from supporters.. no mystery there. I am simply saying what
happend to me in Vantage and what I experienced in Kal. when I lived there. Yes there are many
who hunt for meat, hunt responsibly, and hunt for the experience… mine is a story and a touch
of opinion.. Not a closing statement at some trial that everyone who disagrees with me has to
live by….
By BiggerMig on 12-03-12 @ 9:37 pm

Shoot anything you want.  The world is coming to an end on the 21st.  And if it doesn’t, the
wolves are going to kill everything anyway.  I’m surprised this young man found anything at all
to kill, what with the wolves and all.
By Am Trans on 12-04-12 @ 8:24 am

Give the kid a break.  He doesn’t get to live a very good life.  I’ve seen him watching other kids play,
wishing he could, too.  It makes me very sad, then some of you have to worsen it by wanting to deny
him trying to do one thing that normal Montanans do.  FU.
By Gene Dziza on 12-04-12 @ 11:53 am

I think clarity may have hit the nail on the head with the statement:  “It’s true that as long
as we eat meat this is happening in some form or another millions of times each day.”

I used to kill an elk or a deer or both every year.  Almost without exception, because of the
remote location, I had to bone the animal out where it lay. put the meat up in meat bags and
hang it. Then I would spend a day or two, packing the meat out if it was a deer, or two to four
days packing it out if it was an elk.  Then I would spend up to a couple of long days cutting
and wrapping.  It was a lot of work.

Today I buy my meat in a supermarket.  Someone else slaughters it for me and they cut and wrap
it too. Considering the amount of work, time, gas, equipment, etc., that I put into harvesting
my own meat, it’s a pretty good deal for me. Here’s the thing though; When I pull my
pre-packaged, store bought meat out of my freezer, I don’t feel any more ethical than when I
used to pull the meat out of my freezer that was harvested and prepared at my own hand.  Eating
the “meat factory” stuff doesn’t make me feel a better man nor does it give me a sense of higher
moral standing. I will bet though, that the handicapped young man that killed this elk, will
feel a great sense of pride with each meal from this elk that the family shares. My friends, is
that such a horrible thing?

I challenge the notion that some in this discussion seem to be asserting, that it is more
ethical to harvest meat out of the supermarket or a drive-up window, versus harvesting it out of
the woods. Either way, the process involves a harvest or slaughter or whatever term you want to
use to describe taking the life of an animal in order to use it as a source of nutrition. I
further propose that choosing to eat meat does not make one a bad person.  If it does, some of
you folks are going to spend a lot of time being angry at other people.

So what’s the answer to this? Should we legislate that people can’t eat meat? Which one of you
has the appetite for that?

The older I get, the more skeptical I get about growth hormones and genetically modified foods.
The notion of providing meat to my family from an animal that feeds on alpine grasses, as
opposed to an animal that feeds on herbicide- treated grasses, is becoming more appealing.  I
may take up the hunt again one day and I don’t believe it will make me a less ethical man.  It
seems to me some people need to step down from their self- awarded moral high perches.
By Craig moore on 12-04-12 @ 3:26 pm

Reading through some of the comments here I don’t know how some people are able to go by the
meat section in a grocery store without passing out.

Helping a disabled person to escape the shackles of his disability for a few moments, even in a
limited way, is a tremendous act of kindness.  Thank you SCI for all that you do.
By reggie on 12-05-12 @ 11:30 am

Although wolves have changed the equation, hunting (to harvest game) is done in part to
control herd size. Without some predator (human or animal) reduction down to known numbers
that winter range can feed, huge numbers of deer/elk starve to death every year that we have
heavy snow cover.

Everyone that I have discussed this with, both pro and anti hunting, understand that it is more
ethical to kill quickly and gain the carcass, of the few necessary to reduce herds to winter
range capacity, than to lose many more animals to the inevitable mass starvation that is the
alternative.

Winter kills much more brutally, and wastes everything.
  • Support Rocky Mountain Front Heritage Act
    Matthew Koehler said: "Here are some substantive comments based on the actual text of the Rocky Mountain Heritage Act. These comments are provided from the perspective of a…
  • EPA Ready To Designate CFAC Plant a Superfund Site
    LogicalOne said: "Once a Super Site, (and even now knowing it is a health and environmental risk) who would want to locate there?  Who would want to…
  • North Fork Politics
    ride4fun said: "It is politics as usual…...which is quite disturbing.  Figures Ted Cruz would put his hand into it—he seems to like stalling and holding up legislation. …
  • Police Chief: Hand Movements Justified Fatal Shooting
    Looney_Tunes said: "This cop murder makes 5 in 2 years for the poor residents of Billings.  I’m not comfortable with the pigs killin’ folks in an alley,…
  • Abundant Winter Leads to Flood Concerns
    hotfishmt said: "Considering the ground is still cold, saturated, all over; its a no brainer that the commissioners get on board with helping stop/control the erosion along…

Season Passes for the 2014/15 season are now on sale! http://t.co/CQ4Rw3cXdv
Deal to buy 11 dams, including Polson's Kerr, could be derailed by consumer counsel, NorthWestern Energy says http://t.co/AYq3iINRWF #mtnews
I finished 100 Years of Solitude in my empty high school art room, and the top of my head came off, just like Emily Dickinson said.
Your Survival Guide To Coachella http://t.co/hlyov5FZjv via @IamJessicaLima http://t.co/0b5csXZiN8