Wednesday Apr. 16, 2014
Evergreen store to close

By JD on 12-02-08 @ 6:34 pm

Congratulations to Wal Mart and Mr. Harris, who has worked very hard to get this done.
The “super” is needed at that location.  It will really put that neighborhood on the map.  There are some great stores in Hutton Ranch, mine included, but, surprisingly, few people know that.  I don’t know why.  Advertising it is a waste of money.  Highway signage is unavailable.  I should say, sign posts are there but blank, and unavailable.
Yes, I can’t wait to see the new WalMart open up.  I suspect that by that time, some current businesses there will have failed, due both to the recession and lack of traffic.
Oh well, we tried.  There’s a store like ours in Missoula, not too far out of the way, is it?
By Roark on 12-02-08 @ 9:32 pm

I am thrilled that a super Wal-Mart is coming to Kalispell, it’s about time that there has been some good news for a change.
By Walmart on 12-03-08 @ 12:31 am

* Pay low wages to workers, and generally abuse them.
  * Intimidate shoppers by having them “greeted” by a person at the door. (As one writer said, the real purpose of that greeter is to let shoppers know that they are being watched.)
  * Put small stores out of business, as shoppers STOP patronizing the little “mom-and-pop” boutiques for the big box, thus “destroying” the look of “Main Street” in small towns and cities.
  * Purchase low-priced/slave made goods from abroad, which puts American workers out of jobs.
  * Contribute to that allegedly harmful disease known as “consumerism,” in which Americans are constantly purchasing goods that the Wal-Mart critics insist that they really don’t need. As the bumper sticker of one of my faculty colleagues proclaims: “Mal-Wart: The Source of Cheap Crap.”
We need American manufacturing distributed through American retail outlets or factory direct or this country is going third world.  Has anyone noticed the mfg output of the USA is .14 of 1970?
By PT on 12-03-08 @ 3:47 am

Post critique for F-Walmart - The context of your message is thought provoking but it’s hard to get past your delivery in order to focus on it.  Next time you might try a grown up delivery approach to introduce your message. Hope that helps for the next time.
By JMO on 12-03-08 @ 7:36 am

I’m not a Walmart shopper now and probably won’t be with the super Walmart.  I prefer Shopko personally.  I do not like these huge super stores.  Of course, I am not a “shopper”.  I do wonder what will go in to the old building in Evergreen.  Hey, how about the library !!!
By About Time on 12-03-08 @ 8:07 am

I think it’s about time that we get a Super Wal-Mart! It will help people like me save money on groceries and everyday goods. I’ve heard the “bad things” that Wal-Mart does and personally, I think people have a choice when they go get a job there; the greeters that I’ve seen are FAR from intimidating, besides there’s a gazillion cameras, so DUH we’re being watched - you wouldn’t want people stealing from you would you? “Walmart” name one local store that went out of business because of Wal-Mart. Personally, I need groceries and that’s one of the biggest positives of the Super Center… another choice that we’ll have to buy from and save ourselves some money. I’ll be one of the first in line when it opens! Kudos to them for getting the deal done!
By rockymountainhigh on 12-03-08 @ 8:21 am

Funny to read all the comments about how much Wal-Mart is going to “save” people.  It is laughable at best!  We have a Stupidcenter in Helena and when i vacation in Kalispell in the summer the local stores up there have better prices than anywhere here in Helena!  Once Wallyworld runs off all the little guys you will pay more than you ever did!  Mark my words!  It happened here in Helena!
By JT on 12-03-08 @ 9:52 am

To the F-Walmart author, it must be very painfull to walk this earth as an absolute simpleton.
By Karen on 12-03-08 @ 10:06 am

I find it fascinating that people support a super walmart - which will leave another empty building in town - but fought the building of the “super” mall which would have created many more jobs, boosted the local economy and kept more shopping in the valley.
By Shauntylightnin on 12-03-08 @ 10:30 am

I avoid wallyworld as much as possible as I usually can not find what I’m looking for there and usually can’t find anyone to help me.
The north end of Kalispell is already getting congested with traffic and this will only help make it more congested.
Unless something really fantastic is coming with Bucky’s development, I probably won’t shop there much either.
By Almighty Malachi on 12-03-08 @ 11:24 am

The empty evergreen location would make for a decent bowling alley.
By sharpshootin tony on 12-03-08 @ 11:39 am

LOL!!! No way my family or I will shop there!! Cheapest crap on earth! I can’t stand even driving by the one in Evergreen- The panhandlers make me feel sick to my stomach- Get a job for Christ’s sake! The folks that shop there are straight out of the hills, and not the good hills! I guess if your in the mood for a good laugh then going to watch the people that shop there is good entertainment. I always feel like I need a shower after I have been there in the past. I can’t imagine a Super Crap-mart will be any better for business’ in Hutton Ranch, the people who shop at Crap-mart can’t affort the expensive stores that are in the Ranch - God knows I can’t. Well, good luck with the new Crap- mart- I’m sure property value’s will go down as soon as it’s open for business.
By Karen on 12-03-08 @ 11:51 am

It’s unfortunate that in order to express your negative opinion about Wal-Mart you feel the need to put down the people who shop there. Who are you to judge the cleanliness or intelligence of people just because of where they shop? What makes you better?
By Watch High Cost of Low Prices on 12-03-08 @ 12:26 pm

Please watch “High Cost of Low Prices”.  Walmart destroys.
By About Time on 12-03-08 @ 12:28 pm

I’ve watched that movie and while unfortunate, what am I supposed to do to provide for my family? I’m going to go where I have to in order to spend the least amount of money I can on my staple goods.  Give me a plausible alternative….
By TO sharpshootin tony on 12-03-08 @ 12:35 pm

From the sounds of it, you are exactly one of those people you laugh at. Uneducated, ignorant and just generally negative. I’m glad you are around to keep the valley’s “high end” stores that sell non-crap, in business. Who knows what would happen without people like you.
By ShouldbecalledChinesemart on 12-03-08 @ 1:44 pm

The richest people in the world expand Walmart.  Chinese interests hidden behind Caucasian board of directors.  Walmart takes government subsidies to build sites, enjoys unfair advantage to ruin competing local merchants.  Walmart underpays their employees, continues to cheat employees in the USA while their locations in Germany are unionized and the company is forced to treat fairly.  I watched “The High Cost of Low Prices”.  It’s a must see to understand how foreign interests are destroying America.
By Damlineapacle on 12-03-08 @ 1:55 pm

Glad to visit this site again!
<a >simple site</a>.
By KalNative on 12-03-08 @ 2:22 pm

No matter how much we #####, or attack each other’s ignorance…the Superwalmart is going to be built anyway. There isn’t much we can do. I’ll just stay away from the north side of town from now on, and shop at the stores I already have been for years.
By KalNative on 12-03-08 @ 2:52 pm

Hey, JD…I know your shop is out there, and I haven’t been there. I like the one downtown ...it was MUCH more convenient to get to. I do NOT like driving through that horrible traffic, then taking my life in my hands when I’m trying to turn left back into town. You can’t see who’s coming at you when trying to turn onto the highway!
  You’re shop has fantastic products, and it was great to visit at lunchtime when downtown. Very friendly service also….
  I’ll come visit sometime when I’m in a hari-kari mood. It’s a great little shop!
By Karen on 12-03-08 @ 3:35 pm

i agree it has become a terrible maze out there - i can’t imagine how bad it will be when wal-mart goes in. I’m at the point of only going there early in the morning when i don’t have to risk life and limb and then only when absolutely necessary. I can buy most stuff at other stores - definitely it’s an area to avoid.
By JD on 12-03-08 @ 4:44 pm

Hutton Ranch really is not a maze once you understand how it works.  It was professionally designed, would you believe.  I think the problem is, a lot of people just don’t know how to drive in today’s traffic.  It’s obvious.  This is not a little hick town anymore, we have to learn to use the best routes and what lane to be in and what a green arrow means.  Mostly, I guess, what a red light means.  Better yet, what that little lever on the left side of your steering column is for.  It’s called courtesy, and it’s lacking around here.
I had to move the retail portion of my business into a retail neighborhood.  One that shows the class that my target clientele feel comfortable in.  The old location absolutely sucked, and we were told that constantly.  That highway frontage is horrible for business.  People could not find our store even driving right past it.  We had to talk them in from cell phones!  Since then we have totally abandoned that location, it wasn’t even good for the rental side of our business.  We’re now on Kelly Road, super easy to find, in a building that is spacious and efficient for our work, which the old one was not at all.
Business has to what works best for them and their customers.  We’re listening, and we’re acting.  Trying very hard to make it in this world.
By Bobby Gee on 12-03-08 @ 5:13 pm

If getting a super market at Hutton Plaza means a Wal-Mart Super Center so be it.  I would rather have seen a quality food market like Super 1 or some Albertson’s stores I’ve seen, but for some reason they have declined.  Most Wal-mart Super Centers are clean, well lit and offer a wide variety of foods. For those who do not like Wal-Mart products or management the solution is quite simple: Don’t shop at Wal-marts.
By GinaT. on 12-03-08 @ 6:02 pm

The documentary film “The High Cost of Low Prices” part 1 of 11-  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cq-xyFVqms must be shown to all our high school students, actually all Americans.  The film clearly shows how this foreign corporation has and continues to stricken business all over USA.  Form a union future Walmart workers- you needn’t reinvent the wheel just follow the example of the Walmart employees in Germany.  Of course, if some of you don’t mind being exploited, or have no issue supporting those that exploit others..why not enjoy watching America unravel and all those hungry people struggling and living in boxes.
By Frontline on 12-03-08 @ 6:05 pm

Haven’t been to a Wal-Mart for years and never plan on stepping into another one… ever.

By PT on 12-03-08 @ 6:47 pm

Walmart is a symptom but not the problem. There are many Walmart like symptoms out there for the same problems.  Here are some of the problems:
1. Mom and Pop are more likely to pay their employees minimum wage.  Root cause - Mom and Pop want to keep as much in their pockets as they can.
2. People rich and poor patronize the Walmart like symptom.  Root cause - Rich and poor want to keep as much in their pockets as they can.
3. Corporate America exports labor and imports foreign products. Root cause - Corp Am. wants money in their pockets.
Do you see the trend?  Solve that problem and you’ve accomplished something.
Note for sharpshooting tony - you’re pathetic
By Zeitgeist on 12-03-08 @ 8:11 pm

For all of you “High Cost” movie buffs, try this one on for size and tell me what you think of it… If you’re THAT worried about Walmart making money, watch the Zeitgeist movie and tell me where the REAL problem is. *It’s 2 hours long and completely viewable on google.
By JMO on 12-03-08 @ 8:32 pm

Hey JD - so what store is your business?  If SuperWalmart is coming, I wish it was in a different area. The traffic in that area is already horrible.  And yes, I go to Huttch Ranch Plaza all the time and it can be confusing driving around in there and it is bad to get out and turn left on to 93 (southbound).
By Karen on 12-03-08 @ 8:39 pm

If Hutton Place was professionally designed - the designers should find a new line of work - i lived in the city for 15 years and never encountered any places that had the problems that I see at Hutton Place.
By Roark on 12-03-08 @ 10:15 pm

I second Karen’s sentiment, whoever designed Hutton Ranch Plaza did a very poor job. Imagine the bottleneck traffic there will be from people going to and from Wal-Mart and the others businesses.-not too mention that when you leave the Plaza to get back on hwy 93 there is no left hand turn light! If I were the developer, I would fix these problems now.
By WelcometoChineseHell on 12-03-08 @ 10:27 pm

Remember the good old days when America used to make anything and everything?  Janitor made $18/hr.  A guy could work 40 hours, enjoy a stay at home wife, kids, cozy house with a white picket fence.  Called himself- Middle Class.  Then, we find out that types like David Rockefeller decided that the world would be better for international corporations if America’s middle class was destroyed via off shoring manufacturing and inviting every third world person on the planet to come on in.  Hell, even em a load of cash and services third worlder..again..come on in.  Clinton gets chummy with the Chinese..gives em all our secrets, all kinds of land, ports etc and changes the wall street rules to- anything goes.  Bush spends borrowed monies like a diva with two sugar daddies set loose at Saks..Of course, some made off literally with billions while the regular joe now fights to find a gig that pays $15/hr. Volker will figure out how to print trillions of new dollars and prevent devaluation of the our currency?  gee, I hope so..but, what if he can’t stop the USD from becoming worthless?  then what?  no food, gas, trucking, jobs..people in the big cities rioting?  People in Kalispel living off game..“America, Destroyed by Design” lays out the stealth Chinese take over years ago.  We got took folks…and all the politicians sold us out.  Now what?
By Bobby Gee on 12-04-08 @ 6:38 am

A few Wal-Mart facts on which to grind your teeth:

Customers spend $36m every hour of every day.

This works out to $21k in profit every minute.

Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to March 17th than Target sells all year.

Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot, Kroger, Target, Sears, Costco and K-Mart combined.

Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer.

Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined. (It reached this level in only 15 years)

During this same period, 31 supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

Wal-mart has approximately 3,900 stores in the US of which 1900 are SuperCenters.

7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart stores.

90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

Moral of these statistics:  Buy stock in Wal-Mart even if you hate it.  ;^)
By Karen on 12-04-08 @ 8:52 am

Sounds good in theory (buying stock) but if you had bought stock at the close on January 3, 2000 you would have paid $54.75 - if you still had it today it would be worth $54.63 at the close of 12/2/08 - with inflation - i’d say you lost money. Granted it closed at $59.89 on 9/1 but still…. it may be big but i would not consider it a great performing stock (or store for that matter)
By KalNative on 12-04-08 @ 9:30 am

Hi JD…Guess I won’t visit your store, because you think I don’t know how to drive. (I’m used to driving in hicksville)..Gee, and here I thought you were a NICE guy?
By JD on 12-04-08 @ 5:23 pm

You sound like a annoyingly friendly gal that already has anything she needs yet, can always rely on a hen pecked husband to run your errands.  How about you quit busting my balls about your inability to drive in modern traffic, take a Valium and pour yourself a stiff gin and tonic…in other words enjoy life and stay off the road and my back.  I hope the new Walmart closes its doors due to lack of customers.  The company doesn’t deserve our business with their history of economy destroying, polluting surroundings, abusing workers and pushing down standard of living for all.
By JB on 12-04-08 @ 5:26 pm

It was bound to happen one way or the other.  It will be a boon to Kalispell for everyone except the diehard blowhard locals that still pine for the good ol’ days and insist on shopping at their favorite local stores (please, don’t change your ways- keep yourselves poor and ignorant!)  You probably won’t be shopping at the Sportman’s Warehouse due to come to Kalispell next year either.  My money goes where the best value is - I have no loyalty to greedy local business owners who are only out for themselves.
By JB on 12-04-08 @ 5:30 pm

Oh yeah, and PT, good job hitting the proverbial nail on the head.
By JD on 12-04-08 @ 7:01 pm

Er, sorry folks, a previous comment by a poster calling himself JD was not the same JD who has the first post and another.  The imposter’s remarks were interesting, yet ruder than I would be, trust me…
KalNative, I am a nice guy.  I just can’t figure out why people have a problem navigating through Hutton Ranch Plaza.  Help me here, I’ll pass on to management what the problem is and suggest it be fixed.
It’s interesting what sort of people I meet personally and can compare their attitude about Hutton Ranch, our new store there,  to their basic demeanor and outward display of intelligence and class.  Hope I said that right, not to offend anyone, but come on, some people have no business doing business in a classy joint.  You can get what you need at WalMart, but in my store you have a really awesome selection available.
Remember, the Reserve Loop was supposed to include Hutton Ranch Road, cut back behind Home Depot and intersect on Reserve just before the bridge.  It just isn’t important enough yet to get finished.
Again, please, if you have suggestions how to fix the traffic problems you’re complaining about,  by all means speak up.
By PT on 12-04-08 @ 9:29 pm

Hi JD, Here’s a definition of a maze from Wikipedia; A maze is a complex tour puzzle in the form of a complex branching passage through which the solver must find a route. ...

It seems to me the Hutton Ranch Plaza used the same design concept

My two cents.
By KathyBoycottsWalmart on 12-05-08 @ 12:49 am

Walmart is ruthless, cutthroat, a wrecking ball, TNT, a slave master.  I urge everyone to buy a real shovel instead of the one sold at Walmart with built in obsolescence.  Two thrusts into the ground and its broken.  Breast feed your babies instead of buying the formula tainted with melamine.  Every unique wise action is needed and helps to turn America around, sending those lying criminals at Walmart the message- their methods will no longer be accepted.
By About Time on 12-05-08 @ 7:42 am

I’d like to know how many of you Anti-Walmart people shop at ANY of the bigger stores (Home Depot, Lowe’s, Target, Shopko or Kmart). They ALL have the same characteristics and they ALL help us save money, some more so than others. If you are building a house, do you go somewhere and spend up to 3 times as much, or do you go where you can get the lowest prices for the same products? Pharmacy - do you go where you pay the most for a medicine or the least? I don’t understand why anyone has to come down on anyone else for shopping at a place that SAVES ME MONEY! So you have your opinion, DON’T shop there if that’s your desire, but don’t condemn those of us who COUNT ON saving money. With all the lost jobs in the valley (including my own) how can it be seen any other way? The real problem is MUCH deeper rooted than Wal-Mart (Federal Reserve…....)
By mtmtnman on 12-05-08 @ 7:51 am

Kathy,  Your asking people to “THINK” in this throw away society we have?  In my construction business i buy shovels and such from Midwest Rake.  I can get a whole season out of one of their spades where a cheepie from China-Mart might last a week or 2.  So who is saving money?  If the average homeowner bought their garden tools from US companies like Midwest Rake they would NEVER have to buy another but now they will buy one for 1/2 the price at China-Mart and buy a new one every 3-4 years and throw the old one in the landfill. People USED to buy things that would last so they never would have to buy it again!  Hell my mother STILL has the pots and pans she got when she got married in 1971 from West Bend!  Thats 37 years of service!  I also bought my wife a set of West Bend cookware in 1994 and they are FLAWLESS!!  Yeah they cost me close to $800 while i coulda got the same number of pots and pans at China-Mart for under $100 but i woulda had to buy 3-4 sets by now!

Your also asking mothers to Breast Feed.  LMAO!  Most women are to self centered today and any extra time with there kids would cut into their shopping time at China-Mart!  While i totally agree with you, how many women do you know that breast feed? My wife breast fed both of my daughters for over a year each and guess what?  They NEVER got sick and grew way ahead of friends that fed formula.  Why?  Easy!  Formula is not from MOM!  First thing that happened when we gave calves on our farm formula was they got diarrhea!!  Same in humans!  A baby diaper of a formula fed baby does not smell.  A formula fed kid??  Get a surplus WWII gas mask out!!!!

The long and short of it is our society does not think long term anymore.  Save and buy something decent?  No way!  I want it NOW and it has to be cheap!  Things sure have changed since my grandparents generation and much of the change has not been good…............
By mtmtnman on 12-05-08 @ 8:01 am

I should know better and proofread my posts.  I never learned to touch type so i didn’t see my mistake when i was typing.  Let me correct myself,  A baby diaper of a BREAST fed baby does not smell.  A formula fed kid??  Get a surplus WWII gas mask out!!!!

Sorry for the screw up….................................
By KalNative on 12-05-08 @ 9:15 am

To fake JD,,,thanks anyway, but I don’t care for gin. But I do like valium!
  To the real JD….thanks for the nice reply. Letting management know of the navigation problems is a good idea…hopefully they are listeners.
By JD on 12-05-08 @ 10:26 am

mtmtmnman, so correct about the rake.  When my friend was manager of Cardinal, I shopped there.  Needed a rake once.  While looking over the selection, a salesman asked to help,  then did by holding one up and said “this one’s the cheapest”.
I kind of came unglued on him.  Let him have it.  Told him I shop quality, asked what makes him think I want to buy junk.  He said he was sorry, but “everyone wants cheap.”  I grabbed the best one there and found the manager and suggested he have a talk with his salesman…
Anyway, about the “maze”.  I drove around Hutton Ranch this morning, with this in mind, and looked for a way to lost or stuck.  Didn’t see it.  But, keep in mind, I know the neighborhood well and have learned how to navigate it.  I don’t do so well in some of the residential areas, by the way, speaking of mazes to get you completely frustrated!
Perhaps the biggest improvement possible would be to add a left turn green arrow to the lights where Hutton Ranch Road/Reserve Loop cross Highway 2.  The problems I’ve seen there are because people can’t cooperate at an intersection.  You have to know how to enter a four lane highway from a street that gives you three choices- left, straight, or right.  And you have to hope other drivers know how to do this.  Notice most don’t use that little signal lever much.  Most don’t know that when you make a turn, you should enter the lane nearest you so that opposing traffic can enter in their nearest lane at the same time.  How often does this goof up irritate YOU?  Truly the only answer is to expand the highway into divided four lane, interstate style, controlled access, complete with cloverleaf overpasses.  Pretty hard to screw up with that.
When you consider that the bypass might actually happen someday, and realize that by then (if not already) the plan is flawed, think about this:  Kalispell will look like Portland someday.  Believe it.  Might as well start planning it now, from Lakeside to Olney, eight lanes sixty feet in the air.
By LovemyJob on 12-06-08 @ 12:03 pm

I have worked at Walmart for 7 years.  Let’s settle a few moronic ideas that have been shared here on this slam board.  First, walmart pays more as a starting wage then the State of Montana, a lot of other retail stores, and even some ( and this surprised me) engineering companies.  Second, you can start amazing insurance benefits the day you start at Walmart.  The benefits are custom chosen by each of the associates.  You pay for what you want.
Third our slogan says it all.  We save people money so they can live better.  Period.  If you haven’t noticed we sell the same products that shopko, target, and kmart sell if not better quality and more of it.  We are in this business to serve the needs of our customers.  All you whining , inconsiderate people are not taking into fact, as stated above, that walmart employs a lot of people.  We, as employees, of a great company do not appreciate you dogging or slamming our stores.  We are proud of where we work and we don’t appreciate the fact that you feel our jobs should not exist because of these false ideas of world domination and “cheap crap”.  We are a store that sells merchandise that every day people need.  If you don’t like it don’t shop there.  Its that simple.  Get over it.  Walmart isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and quite frankly that makes me sleep better at night.
Another note, if you do your research you will see property values and businesses surge when supercenters come to town because they know how successful we are at bringing in all kinds of new demographic.
So put up or shut up.  And as always thanks for shopping your Kalispell Walmart.  (because you know you secretly do)
By JB on 12-06-08 @ 1:06 pm

When somebody says that WalMart employees are paid a lower average wage, that refers to the national average, not Montana.  It’d also be interesting to find out just how many Montana businesses actually provide their employees with health insurance, as compared to national employers within the state.

It’s really not surprising to me to find out that Walmart employees have better starting wages than the state of Montana or, more than likely, most employers in Montana (who more than likely pay the federal minimum wage only because they are required by law to do so) and don’t provide any benefits or incentives, other than the time tested “do your job or I’ll find somebody who will” incentive.

I’m not directing this to those who are conscientious about making sure that their employees are taken care of and who realize that employees make their business successful (for those folks, my hat is off to you, and you have my future business when I find out who you are smile )  Good business owners know that when you treat employees with dignity and respect, and make sure they are well compensated, that those employees usually are top performers, who make the needs of the business their top priority, who treat customers well, so they come back for repeat business.
By sharpshootin tony on 12-06-08 @ 1:52 pm

Mr I love my job::_ I don’t care how many years youve worked at Crap-Mart- you still sell cheap, crap. I don’t, and I will never shop there. I urge everyone in Montana to BOYCOTT CRAP-MART!!
By obviousshill on 12-06-08 @ 5:21 pm

The lawsuits and media coverage of all the atrocities committed by Walmart speak for themselves.  Boycott, Boycott, Boycott.  Tell us how much is your co pay and monthly bill for health insurance loyal Walmart workerslave?  What company, HMO..can go to any doctor?  Tell us about the overtime you get rucked out of?  Sickdays?  Vacations paid?  How about the employee turnover?
By CLETUS on 12-06-08 @ 6:12 pm

IN CALIF THE MAJOR ISSUE HAS BEEN TO NOT ALLOW THE BIG WAL MART INTO THE COMMUNITIES BECAUSE OF THE TYPES OF PEOPLE IT ATTRACTS AND THE CRIME THAT COMES ALONG WITH IT.  HOME BREAKINS INCREASE/PHYSICAL VIOLENCE/SHOPLIFTING/HOME VALUES SHIFT DOWNWARD USUALLY/.  MANY CITIES IN CALIF. ALLOWED THE FIRST WAL MART AND SAID NO TO THE GIANT ONE….
By 4x4 on 12-06-08 @ 9:16 pm

It could have been worse. Peak Development, anyone? Their projects by far have the worst layouts I’ve ever seen.
By 4x4 on 12-06-08 @ 9:37 pm

“Good business owners know that when you treat employees with dignity and respect, and make sure they are well compensated, that those employees usually are top performers, who make the needs of the business their top priority, who treat customers well, so they come back for repeat business.”

AMEN!! It’s amazing to me how many employers just don’t get it. Between that and office politics, it makes working a chore instead of a joy. Considering how much time we spend away from our families because we are working, we should do something that we enjoy and make us happy—not working at a place where we hate going to work.
By To "Sharp" shootin tony on 12-07-08 @ 1:24 am

Tony, I encourage you to bring a little more intelligence to your posts. You are the type of person who gives Rednecks a bad reputation. Your ignorance is painfully obvious and you are not helping your case by spouting off like you do. I’m pretty sure everybody gets your point now….. Kudos to you LovesMyJob!
By PT on 12-07-08 @ 6:32 am

I’m have a difficult time understanding how adding a store like Walmart can impact a community as described by Cleatus.  I have some lingering questions.  Is there a Walmart following that moves in to gather at Walmart, do these ‘types’ of people relocate to work at Walmart or do the shoppers simply rob a couple houses, beat up some kids and spray paint some graffiti on the way?  I might be way off here, but I would assume that the ‘types’ of people Walmart attracts (working or shopping), live in the community.  Could it be possible that the increase in crime is a nationwide issue and is not associated with have a Walmart in a community?
By Bobby Gee on 12-07-08 @ 8:10 am

Thanks Lovemyjob, this blog needed your comments.  Of course, those whose minds, or what’s left of one, are made up and convinced of things they know nothing of, will believe you’re a Wal-Mart management put up.
By JB on 12-07-08 @ 10:18 am

It’s true that in larger metro areas, a WalMart has the unfortunate circumstance of raising the crime rate, and there is data supporting this.  Just do a Google for “WalMart crime data” and you’ll find it.  This is when WalMart puts a Supercenter in proximity to a poor neighborhood off by itself or near a small strip mall in or near a major city.  This is certainly not the case in the instance with other locations, especially locations like in a newly established area such as Hutton Ranch.

The effect that a new Walmart Supercenter will have on the Kalispell area will be both positive and negative.  It will drive job growth, enhance tax revenue, and improve business conditions for all of the stores at Hutton Ranch.  However, it will also increase vehicle traffic, meaning more accidents, which means it will also require increased police presence.  There may be an uptick in petty crime (shoplifting, etc.) but I doubt that there will be any real increase in major crime, given the demographics.
By Bunky on 12-07-08 @ 11:29 am

Walmart ruins neighborhoods by destroying competing business.  The small retailer can’t compete, the owner goes bankrupt, the building used for the business can’t be sold as the glut of closures expand creating block after block of abandoned buildings.  The criminal element soon moves in and occupies these “ghost” towns and the cycle repeats itself were ever a Walmart is built.  What is most offensive is the government subsidies awarded Walmart.  This in part proves the international globalist agenda to monopolize retail to a few wealthy families.
By About Time on 12-07-08 @ 11:50 am

Okay Bunky, if that’s the case, then why don’t we have a whole bunch of abandoned buildings around our current Evergreen Wal-Mart? In fact, there are NEW buildings going in around that area right now! I have to agree with your last point, but, I also believe that there is a much bigger problem than just Wal-Mart. It goes all the way to the top, to the Federal Reserve, which, by the way, is not federal (or government ran), but a PRIVATELY owned bank that controls our entire economic system, that really is screwed up beyond belief!
By Bunky on 12-07-08 @ 2:51 pm

So the lawsuits against Walmart and the damage done to communities as documented in “The High Cost of Low Prices” is fiction?  Is that what you’re saying About Time?  Just cause new buildings are going in while the economy over all is on life support validates my point as are such buildings occupied by thriving businesses?  Investors come in, build stuff, oftentimes through sweet backroom deals with government without long term benefit to the middle class population.  People get beat down so badly, they’ll work for food scraps..that seems to be the direction.  Look who owns the Federal Reserve…same people that own Goldman Sachs, Bank of Illuminatica etc
On Monday, December 1, a SWAT team with semi-automatic rifles entered the private home of the Stowers family in LaGrange, Ohio, herded the family onto the couches in the living room, and kept guns trained on parents, children, infants and toddlers, from approximately 11 AM to 8 PM. The team was aggressive and belligerent. The children were quite traumatized. At some point, the “bad cop” SWAT team was relieved by another team, a “good cop” team that tried to befriend the family. The Stowers family has run a very large, well-known food cooperative called Manna Storehouse.  This is an America I no longer recognize.  Foreign interests are blatantly in charge bringing our standard of living DOWN.
By sharpshootin tony on 12-07-08 @ 2:54 pm

Boycott Crap-Mart. Wal + Mart = Crap- Crap-Mart.
By PT on 12-07-08 @ 4:04 pm

This Kalispell native shopped downtown for everything at one time.  Then K-mart came in.  The other stores followed.  The downtown big stores were JCPenney,  Montgomery Wards and the KM building shopping center.  Downtown has changed quite considerably since I was a child and most shopping has moved from downtown to the big stores, without the existence of Super Walmart.  Shall we blame K-mart all the changes to the Flathead or is there another reason Kalispell has changed incredibly?  I can’t say I’m that happy with the growth of the area.  Average working people can’t even afford to buy property here.
By JD on 12-07-08 @ 6:16 pm

4x4, you are so correct.  We’ve discussed this before.  I don’t know what you do for a living, but you could be management at my company.
My employees make a lot more money than I do.  And they get to clock out and go home every evening.  They even get two days off a week.  And can call in sick whenever they want.
By KalNative on 12-07-08 @ 8:19 pm

I still shop downtown Kalispell, The one of the few times I went to Wallyworld….I was returning an item. The young gal in front of me had a bag of clothes she was returning. While we were waiting…(for a looooong time) the young gal in front of me ran to the clothing department, grabbed a few items, and returned those for cash. I told the clerk about it after the transaction, and she actually chewed my ### for not bringing it to her attention while the girl was doing the transaction. Like I’m going to turn in a criminal in front of the criminal!! I din’t feel like getting my ### kicked that day. All it takes is one bad experience…that’s why I will not shop at Walmart.
By 4x4 on 12-07-08 @ 11:24 pm

Ahh, JD you know me. My son is a big fan of yours. He misses you and still talks about you. We need to stop by and get some sammies one of these days when he’s off from school. I need to hit your tea supply again anyways.

I’m no longer working in the public since I’m in a wheelchair. Job hunting has been a frustrating process to say the least. The resume qualifies me enough to generate excitement and get an interview, but once I roll in the facial expressions say it all.
By 4x4 on 12-08-08 @ 12:25 am

Just don’t out me on here, JD. ;p

There’s a difference between cheap and inexpensive. I’d rather pay more to get quality items, if need be. I’ve driven to walmart and left more than once due to no accessible parking thanks to people parking in the handicapped spots without a placard. Or, if there is a spot available, someone has parked their car or motorcycle in the hash marks—this blocks a person from being able to unload their chair. Or worse yet, the employees think it’s ok to park carts there.

I’ve encountered more rude people in walmart than any other business in this valley. I bit the bullet and thought I would go a few weeks ago since I was on that side of town. I found a parking spot and unloaded. I made it to the sidewalk. This time no one decided to accelerate in the crosswalk and force his way through the people. Once inside, we got a cart and started getting the items we needed. Another customer and I were ignored by 2 employees stocking dog food when we asked for help in the aisle they were in. Yes, they heard us, my husband heard us in the next aisle over. The lady got upset, left her cart there and walked out. I headed for another section. I was putting items in my cart when a lady and her friend decided to reach over me instead of saying excuse me. I saw stars when her 20lb purse slid off her shoulder and landed on the top of my head, jamming my neck. Instead of an apology, she looked at me as she and her friend started laughing about it. An inappropriate comment was made under her breath to her friend before going back to reading labels like nothing happened. <sarcasm> I love it when people assume wheelchair = mentally incapacitated. </sarcasm>

I tried to leave, but when I got to my van someone parked in the hash marks. I couldn’t get in my car. At that point I just called the cops. The double fine for no placard and parking in an illegal zone kinda made my head feel better. My husband had to pull out into the traffic lane so I could get in the van. Nothing like blocking about 8 cars and having the front driver glaring at you while loading up. The honking horns further back in the line was a nice touch too. At that point, I decided the minimal amount of money I would have saved definitely wasn’t worth it.
By JD on 12-08-08 @ 6:20 am

I have a friend in a wheelchair who tells similar stories.  People didn’t used to be so rude around here.  It moved in.
I think some of our readers have guessed that I am in the sandwich business.  Not so, but I guess my initials threw you off.
There are two big handicapped parking spots separated by a no parking zone right in front of my store at Hutton Ranch.  I’ve never seen any one use them, but I don’t work there, I man the other location.
I wish I had a job opening, 4x4.  Unfortunately, we had to lay a gal off on Friday.  Business is dead.  We’ll probably be closing the store soon.  It didn’t work.
By JMO on 12-08-08 @ 1:31 pm

Still trying to figure out what store JD has.  I was at Hutton Ranch Plaza Saturday (Bullman’s Pizza) and will be there today after work to return/replace a defective cartridge from CartridgeWorld.  Oh also went in the Party Store by Bullman’s on Saturday.
By Bonnie H on 12-08-08 @ 2:08 pm

I am all for the Wal-Mart and having a decent place to shop on the Northend of town. As for JD, I believe it is JD Morrells.
By JD on 12-08-08 @ 2:33 pm

No, Bonnie, I really couldn’t make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without burning the house down.  So, JMO, how did you like the “Party Store”?  Pretty snazzy, huh?  It’s what this town begged for.  Thank to everyone who notices how unlike any box stores it is.  Enjoy it while you can, we’re not likely to survive the recession from the looks of it so far.  But you never know, I believe in miracles, have seen them happen.
By 4x4 on 12-08-08 @ 2:53 pm

Yes, the stories are plentiful and painful to experience unfortunately. I’ve seen all sides of it—as a thin, athletic blonde woman, as a morbidly obese person (thank you, injury), and now as someone that relies on assistive devices to get from point A to B. I do look at people in chairs/etc, just because I like to compare equipment. “I like his walker better than mine” or, “cool chair! that color looks better in person than online.” LOL

When I went to vote last month, I had a woman piece together so many stereotypes about wheelchair users that I had to laugh on the way out. First the woman explain to me how a ballot works and demonstrated how to color in circles. She was yelling at me as if I had a hearing problem. After I voted she was clapping her hands and smiling at me, She actually said “Oh Goodie” then patted me on the head and told me what a good girl I was. You’d think I was 4 and did something fantastic, not a 40year old woman that voted in every election since turning 18. She was maybe 15 years older than me. I just laughed and went to my car.

ok, not the JD with the sammies… hmmm, I’m confused then. Don’t worry about not having an opening…I wasn’t asking. I feel bad for the gal that just got laid off tho.

I used to work on that end of town, so I’ve eaten in the north end food places at least 3 days a week. I’ve been in your establishment, JD. Since being in the chair, there’s some that I’ve not went back to or had to send someone else in to order my food. A lot of the smaller food places in there are difficult or humiliating for person that’s in a chair.

I don’t feel that they need a Super walmart up north. Tidyman’s is gone—why can’t we have another grocery store?? I think the Walmart north of town has an opportunity to fix some of the issues that irk me about the Evergreen one. First of all the evergreen one was build on a swamp. Secondly, they place their fertilizers etc on the parking lot. The water table is very high in that area and Walmart has their chemicals running right into the water off the parking lot. Now think about where Kalispell/Evergreen gets its water. So much for caring about community/environment.
By 4x4 on 12-08-08 @ 2:56 pm

The Party Store is the bomb, are they going out of business too? Crap.
By JD on 12-08-08 @ 10:36 pm

It’s not my call, dear.  At some point soon it has to start paying its own way.  Right now it owes me a hundred grand and a year of my life.  This can’t go on another month. Maybe it will just go into storage til the recession is over,  I don’t know yet.  Life goes on!
By JMO on 12-09-08 @ 7:17 am

Hey JD - I did like the store.  I did not know it was there.  I cruised in just to check it out.  I bought several small things (toys for the boys).  Nice assortment of stuff.  Great helium balloon selection. Lots of really colorful plates/etc.  I was chuckling because of the grass skirts, bringing back memories for me as a kid (girl scout doing the hula).  The 2 gals working were very nice.
By JMO on 12-09-08 @ 7:19 am

One thing on Plaza.  Negotiating it can be annoying. Especially at night.  After leaving Cartridge World last night, I wanted to go to Noodles To Go and had to loop back around because the one road didn’t go thru (center divider blocked me). And that back end that is undeveloped is rather dark and hard to see the markings on which lane to be in.
By mtmomto5 on 12-09-08 @ 9:11 am

I buy American made products as much as possible. I hate WalMart anymore also. I’m sick and tired of buying stuff that doesn’t last. I bought an item from WalMart that cost $10. and lasted about less than a year. My mom has the same item she bought over 20 years ago and it still works.
Americans need to wake up when we buy cheaper items that come from WlaMart that are made in places like india,china and mexico WE LOSE! Americans lose their JOBS!! And the fat cats get fatter and richer. BUY AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS AND KEEP AMERICANS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By JD on 12-09-08 @ 7:49 pm

Thanks, JMO for the business, and glad you liked our store.  We worked really hard to open up a REAL party store!
Didn’t know it was there?  Yeah, we hear that a lot.  Hutton Ranch just isn’t on the map yet.  Advertising does not work in the Flathead Valley.  Have you heard the awesome “Party Time Has Got It” jingle, by Rob Dewbre?  All the great radio and TV ads totalling over $30,000?  The public thank yous from numerous charity benefits we’ve helped? Ads in local magazines and sports programs, stock car racing sponsorship, theatre,  etc?  Yellow Pages ad costs $600 a month.  Doesn’t work, huh?  We had to quit ALL of that recently.
I wanna get an airplane and pull a big banner, buzz every neighborhood in four towns, that would be a blast and it might work, but my wife said no.
We know that word of mouth advertising works wonderfully.  Please tell your friends and neighbors where to get the goodies, about the cheerful service and the carpeting that makes you just want to party.  Thank You!
Like anywhere else you drive, you kind of have to learn to navigate the neighborhood.  For all you know, the place was designed to force you to parade past every store in the project, hoping you’ll notice what’s available there.  Just kidding, but hey,  not a bad idea…
Watch for some special promotions coming soon, a cooperative effort from all Hutton Ranch businesses, to try to raise public awareness that the place exists, and what’s available there.  Some of them may survive the Great Depression II, or perhaps Super WalMart will be the only thing open there in Feb 2010.

Thank you! RT @sportmanskihaus: @kellynjbrown Super excited to support the running club!
Report: Hg concentrations measured in bull trout from Lake McDonald approached levels of concern for tissue-based fish toxicity
"Concentrations (of mercury) from a third lake in Glacier were among the highest observed" http://t.co/e7LcUqFy5K
Your Survival Guide To Coachella http://t.co/hlyov5FZjv via @IamJessicaLima http://t.co/0b5csXZiN8
FB Headlines37m
FVCC Faculty Senate to Hold School Board Candidates’ Forum http://t.co/2O41gjlAhZ